Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Laminar flow problem does not converge for most boundary conditions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

HI,

I have set up a 3D laminar flow problem in a rectangular geometry with an inlet and outlet. The problem presents in reality a fluid exchange problem: a box of fluid is connected to a pump, which introduces another species of fluid from the inlet while the fluid in the box is expelled through the outlet.

I tried a variety of boundary conditions for the inlet and outlet but only few of them result in a converging simulation. Ideally, I would like both inlet and outlet to have laminar inflow/outflow=1e-6 m^3/s; however, this condition does not give a converged solution. I know from your forum that specifying both inlet and outlet boundaries to be velocity/flow rate may cause problems to convergence, so I also tried specifying velocity/inflow at the inlet and a constant pressure at the outlet. However, this works only if pressure=0Pa, which is far from ideal for my system.

Can someone suggest any reason that possibly causes the convergence problem, and what would be the solutions?

Thanks.

0 Replies Last Post Dec 11, 2017, 1:51 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Nicole Luk

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.