Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Scattering on vacuum

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

My greetings, community

I'm working in 2D rectangular domain. Also my structure is periodic and anisotropic layer in combination like glass->periodic media->glass, therefore I am forced to use scattered field formalism and Floque periodic conditions. I calculate background plane TE wave with different angles of incidance.

After building this setup, I have met exrta reflections from PMLs and decided to make some tests. I calculadet bg field in vacuum and run scattering also in vacuum and got difference background and full field about 0.1-1% even with very detailed mesh (wavelength/100). Is accuracy of COMSOL so low, or there are some special settings for PMLs?

Than I tried to simulate interface like vacuum->glass and calculate Fresnel equations also in scattered field formalism. And got extra reflections from PMLs and wrong transmission and reflection coefficients.

Can someone help me to configure this simple setup, or show me example of proper use scattered field formalism with normal accuracy?

Regards, Ivan

0 Replies Last Post Mar 21, 2018, 1:35 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ivan Stoloka

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.