Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Effective Stress Tensor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi; I am trying to simulate stress concentration around the borehole. I have defined the in situ stress tensor by the initial strain and stress subnode, and the pore pressure by the external stress subnode. I want to show the effective stress tensor concentration around the borehole, but I am not able to show the effective stress tensor by exsiting options of stress in plot section. Does someone know how it is possibleto show the effective stress tensor in COMSOL? Thanks;

4 Replies Last Post Jun 22, 2018, 1:44 p.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago Jun 15, 2018, 1:40 a.m. EDT

Hi,

If you introduce the pore pressure using the Pore pressure option in External Stress, then it is not part of the the stress computation (it only acts as a volumetric load contribution). That is, the stress you see as for example solid.s is the the stress in the matrix of the porous material, also known as the effective stress tensor.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, If you introduce the pore pressure using the *Pore pressure* option in *External Stress*, then it is not part of the the stress computation (it only acts as a volumetric load contribution). That is, the stress you see as for example *solid.s* is the the stress in the matrix of the porous material, also known as the effective stress tensor. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 6 years ago Jun 18, 2018, 11:56 a.m. EDT

Thanks Henrik for replying me back. If I want to see the effect of pore pressure on static stress analysis, should I define pore pressure as a diagonal stress tensor? or I should define my in situ stress tensor as effective stress tensor?

Thanks Henrik for replying me back. If I want to see the effect of pore pressure on static stress analysis, should I define pore pressure as a diagonal stress tensor? or I should define my in situ stress tensor as effective stress tensor?

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago Jun 19, 2018, 11:23 a.m. EDT

Hi,

You will see the efffect of pore pressure irrespective of if you add it as 'Pore pressure' or just as a diagonal tensor. The displacements will be the same, but in the first case the stress is 'effective', whereas in the second case it is 'total'.

If, however, you change 'Contribution type' to 'Load contribution only', then you get exacly the same results as with 'Pore pressure', that is an effective stress.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, You will see the efffect of pore pressure irrespective of if you add it as 'Pore pressure' or just as a diagonal tensor. The displacements will be the same, but in the first case the stress is 'effective', whereas in the second case it is 'total'. If, however, you change 'Contribution type' to 'Load contribution only', then you get exacly the same results as with 'Pore pressure', that is an effective stress. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 6 years ago Jun 22, 2018, 1:44 p.m. EDT

I highly appreciate you for giving me such a helpful information.

I highly appreciate you for giving me such a helpful information.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.