Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to add heat source as a time differential term

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am using phase change material in my heat transfer model. I treat the latent heat of the material as a heat source. The defination of the heat source is S=rhoH(latentheat)df/dt f is the liquid fraction, which is a fuction of time: f=0(T<Ts)+((T-Ts)/(Tl-Ts))(Ts<T<Tl)+1(T>Tl) where Ts is the freezing temperature and Tl is the melting temperature. f is difined as a varible f(T) firstly. In heat transfer physics, i add it as heat source: Q=rhoH*d(f(T),t) But it dosent work.

I dont know if it is because i defined the differential part wrong or the it is not possible to difine the heat source term like this?

Thank you so much!

Best regards,

Yue

1 Reply Last Post Jul 6, 2018, 8:47 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago Jul 6, 2018, 8:47 a.m. EDT

Hi,

Is your function f defined as an analytic function ? What do you mean by "it doesn't work" ? Plus you derivate it over time while there is no "t" inside of the equation, I know that the temperature T will change over time but Comsol doesn't have an analytic version of the Temperature solution (finite elements is numerical analysis) so I guess the problem is here.

Johan

Hi, Is your function f defined as an analytic function ? What do you mean by "it doesn't work" ? Plus you derivate it over time while there is no "t" inside of the equation, I know that the temperature T will change over time but Comsol doesn't have an analytic version of the Temperature solution (finite elements is numerical analysis) so I guess the problem is here. Johan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.