Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to solve "Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1) Attempt to evaluate nonintegral power of negative number."

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody, I’m working on a simulation of a tubular reactor for secondary reforming. Since my 3D simulation run resulted in error, I decided to face the same situation with a 1D model, but the error is the same. I have to define a temperature-dependent kynetic, so I attached to the simulation 2 physics, which are “transport of diluted species in porous media” and “heat transfer in porous media”. I checked that all the empty sections were filled out, but I didn’t find anything wrong. The kinetics for steam reforming are quite difficult, so I tried to check them, but I could not have seen some error in the variables. The error after "compute" is:

Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1) Attempt to evaluate nonintegral power of negative number. - Function: ^ Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: B1 - Defined as: 1/(((comp1.cH2(unit_m_cf^3))/unit_mol_cf)^2.5) Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: cost1 - Defined as: ((A1B1)(unit_m_cf^6))/((unit_kg_cfunit_h_cf)unit_mol_cf) Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: cost1_1 - Defined as: cost1/(DEN^2) Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: r1_ - Defined as: cost1_1((comp1.cCH4comp1.cH2O)-(((comp1.cCO(comp1.cH2^3))((comp1.TR)^2))/Keq1)) Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: r1 - Defined as: r1_rhocat Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: comp1.tds.rpb1.reac1.R_cCH4 - Defined as: (-r1)-r3 Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: comp1.tds.rpb1.R_cCH4 - Defined as: comp1.tds.rpb1.reac1.R_cCH4 Failed to evaluate expression. - Expression: d(((4picomp1.tds.rpb1.Npecomp1.tds.rpb1.rperpb1_r^2(-(comp1.tds.rpb1.rpe/unit_m_cf)^2comp1.tds.rpb1.epsilon_ped(comp1.tds.rpb1.cpe_cCH4,t)test(comp1.tds.rpb1.cpe_cCH4)-comp1.tds.rpb1.Dpeff_cCH4d(comp1.tds.rpb1.cpe_cCH4,rpb1_r)test(d(comp1.tds.rpb1.cpe_cCH4,rpb1_r))+(comp1.tds.rpb1.rpe/unit_m_cf)^2comp1.tds.rpb1.R_cCH4test(comp1.tds.rpb1.cpe_cCH4)))(tds_rpb1_xdim.atonly(dvol)))(dvol_spatial),{test@0}) Failed to evaluate Jacobian of expression. - Expression: ((4picomp1.tds.rpb1.Npecomp1.tds.rpb1.rperpb1_r^2(-(comp1.tds.rpb1.rpe/unit_m_cf)^2comp1.tds.rpb1.epsilon_ped(comp1.tds.rpb1.cpe_cCH4,t)test(comp1.tds.rpb1.cpe_cCH4)-comp1.tds.rpb1.Dpeff_cCH4d(comp1.tds.rpb1.cpe_cCH4,rpb1_r)test(d(comp1.tds.rpb1.cpe_cCH4,rpb1_r))+(comp1.tds.rpb1.rpe/unit_m_cf)^2comp1.tds.rpb1.R_cCH4test(comp1.tds.rpb1.cpe_cCH4)))(tds_rpb1_xdim.atonly(dvol)))*(dvol_spatial)

I also changed the initial values, because in some forums I have read that values equal to 0 sometimes give rise to errors, but my error is persistent. I attach my file in order to let you understand better my study and my errors. Thank you in advance for your help, your help could be really important!

1 Reply Last Post Jan 15, 2019, 3:59 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Jan 15, 2019, 3:59 a.m. EST

Define the variables below the Component node, not under Global Definitions.

Define the variables below the Component node, not under Global Definitions.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.