Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Saving file between runs in a parameter sweep?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The IT department where I work is a stone wall that will not budge. I run a simulation over the weekend, come in to find my computer had been restarted by automatic updates and now I have to start over. We're talking fluid dynamics, so these things will run for days on their own.

If there was a way to pause between parameter runs in a sweep and save the file, I could at least pick up where I left off. Is there something like that in COMSOL? If not, is it something I can implement with java? I've used COMSOL with java before, so I know it can be very powerful, but I don't know the details enough...

Thanks!

2 Replies Last Post Jan 15, 2019, 1:51 p.m. EST
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago Jan 14, 2019, 1:25 p.m. EST

Thomas,

did you try to enable the recovery file in the preferences?

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Thomas, did you try to enable the recovery file in the preferences? Cheers Edgar

Posted: 5 years ago Jan 15, 2019, 1:51 p.m. EST

I was able to find and open the file. When I saved it under a new name, the file stopped working. Clicking on Results gave me "cannot open native file".

I opened the recovery file again. I had a Mirror 2D node in my Results section. Mirror 2D points to Study 1/Solution 6. When I try to plot something that is pointing to Mirror 2D, I get an empty plot (just geometry). When I try to plot something that points directly to Study 1/Solution 6, it works fine. I only get half the geometry to present that way, but at least the data is there.

So I set up a Study to pick up where I left off. I told COMSOL to use a previous solution as an initial condition for the new calculatios (I have done that multiple times in this file already). When I saved the file before the run, the actual run gave me an error like I mentioned before. I reloaded the recovery file, did all that work again, and this time ran it without saving first. It hasn't given me any errors.

I'm not sure what to do from here. I will definitely need to save this file at some point...

I was able to find and open the file. When I saved it under a new name, the file stopped working. Clicking on Results gave me "cannot open native file". I opened the recovery file again. I had a Mirror 2D node in my Results section. Mirror 2D points to Study 1/Solution 6. When I try to plot something that is pointing to Mirror 2D, I get an empty plot (just geometry). When I try to plot something that points directly to Study 1/Solution 6, it works fine. I only get half the geometry to present that way, but at least the data is there. So I set up a Study to pick up where I left off. I told COMSOL to use a previous solution as an initial condition for the new calculatios (I have done that multiple times in this file already). When I saved the file before the run, the actual run gave me an error like I mentioned before. I reloaded the recovery file, did all that work again, and this time ran it without saving first. It hasn't given me any errors. I'm not sure what to do from here. I will definitely need to save this file at some point...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.