Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to apply two or more interpolation schemes when using Topology Optimization node with COMSOL 5.4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Mr./Mrs.,

The latest COMSOL 5.4 version has integrated the Topolgy optimization node in "definition". The filter as well as the projection can be accessed more conveniently compared with previous versions.

My question is: How to apply two or more interpolation schemes when using Topology Optimization node with COMSOL 5.4?

That is because in some fluidic-thermal topology optimization problems, I need to use different interpolation schemes for different physical properties. For example, I want to use Darcy penalization for body force terma, and to use RAMP penalization for thermal conductivity.

On the other hand, is it possible to self-define the interpolation scheme by using the built-in topology optimization node?

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Kindly regards, Hao LI

2 Replies Last Post Jan 15, 2019, 8:19 a.m. EST
Kristian Ejlebjærg Jensen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Jan 15, 2019, 7:34 a.m. EST
Updated: 5 years ago Jan 15, 2019, 7:35 a.m. EST

Hi Hao

You can use dtopo1.theta to write your own interpolation function, i.e. you pick Darcy interpolation and write a custom RAMP expression using dtopo1.theta for the thermal conductivity, while you use dtopo1.theta_p for the damping term.

dtopo1.theta_p already contains the interpolation, so you only have to multiply it with the maximum damping (units of Pa s/m^2)

best, kristian

Hi Hao You can use *dtopo1.theta* to write your own interpolation function, i.e. you pick Darcy interpolation and write a custom RAMP expression using *dtopo1.theta* for the thermal conductivity, while you use *dtopo1.theta_p* for the damping term. *dtopo1.theta_p* already contains the interpolation, so you only have to multiply it with the maximum damping (units of *Pa s/m^2*) best, kristian

Posted: 5 years ago Jan 15, 2019, 8:19 a.m. EST

Hi Hao

You can use dtopo1.theta to write your own interpolation function, i.e. you pick Darcy interpolation and write a custom RAMP expression using dtopo1.theta for the thermal conductivity, while you use dtopo1.theta_p for the damping term.

dtopo1.theta_p already contains the interpolation, so you only have to multiply it with the maximum damping (units of Pa s/m^2)

best, kristian

Hi Kristian,

Thanks for your timely reply.

Following your comments, is that means the helmoltz filter together with the tanh projection will work for both Darcy and RAMP interpolation? So I do not need to define an extra PDE and analytical function to apply the filter and projection for RAMP interpolation?

kindly regards, Hao

>Hi Hao > >You can use *dtopo1.theta* to write your own interpolation function, i.e. you pick Darcy interpolation and write a custom RAMP expression using *dtopo1.theta* for the thermal conductivity, while you use *dtopo1.theta_p* for the damping term. > >*dtopo1.theta_p* already contains the interpolation, so you only have to multiply it with the maximum damping (units of *Pa s/m^2*) > >best, >kristian Hi Kristian, Thanks for your timely reply. Following your comments, is that means the helmoltz filter together with the tanh projection will work for both Darcy and RAMP interpolation? So I do not need to define an extra PDE and analytical function to apply the filter and projection for RAMP interpolation? kindly regards, Hao

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.