Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Off-axis propagation in a Photonic Crystal Fibre

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have simulated the square photonic crystal that uses in-plane propagation in Comsol. The simulation uses eigenfequency analysis to find the bandgap.

In another way, simulation of the step index single mode fibre example uses the mode analysis to find how many modes propagate in a fibre core and at which angle (neff_rfwv).

Since quite a while I've been trying to simulate a photonic fibre with hollow core but I could not find a way to proof/confirm that the bandgap for the attached example lies within the wavelengths between 3.2723 um and 3.3806 um. This bandgap was already calculated using transfer matrix by Zhi-Yuan Li and Younan Xia in "Omnidirectional absolute band gaps in two-dimensional photonic crystals" (DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.64.153108 (2001)). Of course they simulated only on crystal lattice and I try to simulate the whole fibre. But the question is: is there a way to calculate the attenuation related to wavelength for different modes in a photonic fibre or in a crystal lattice? Moreover, it there a way to restrict the "acceptable" eigenmodes to be the ones that fulfill a certain condition, e.g. most of the power travels within the core?

P.S.: If the file could not be attached, it can be downloaded from:

www.hs-furtwangen.de/~rodrig/fibre.zip.

0 Replies Last Post Dec 29, 2009, 10:57 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alberto Rodrigues

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.