Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Filling void space in assembly

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a welded assembly that I have imported from Creo 5 that is a water-cooled part. I want to simulate the distortion from the internal space due to the water pressure. I've tried searching for this info without luck.

Can I somehow fill this internal volume with a domain and apply a volume pressure constraint, or set the new domain to water and apply a pressure constraint? Or do I need to create a volume in Creo that represents the water cooling space and then assign material/constraints to it? Part of the reason I'm asking is I don't see how to select a domain that is internal to the assembly.

Thanks. --m

1 Reply Last Post Nov 15, 2019, 11:09 a.m. EST
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Nov 15, 2019, 11:09 a.m. EST
Updated: 4 years ago Nov 15, 2019, 6:10 a.m. EST

Hi Mike,

You can use Cap Faces to create the fluid domain (See for instance this thread or search the Discussion Forum for "Cap Faces" for more details).

With that said, if your only motivation for that is to apply the pressure load applied by the fluid onto the solid and the pressure is known a priori (as in, you are not also running a CFD analysis to compute the pressure distribution), then you don't need to add a computational domain for the fluid, you can just apply a pressure boundary condition on those surfaces where the pressure acts onto the solid.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Mike, You can use Cap Faces to create the fluid domain (See for instance [this thread](https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/241541/create-cfd-mesh-from-cad-geometry?last=2019-08-27T17:39:06Z) or search the Discussion Forum for "Cap Faces" for more details). With that said, if your only motivation for that is to apply the pressure load applied by the fluid onto the solid and the pressure is known a priori (as in, you are not also running a CFD analysis to compute the pressure distribution), then you don't need to add a computational domain for the fluid, you can just apply a pressure boundary condition on those surfaces where the pressure acts onto the solid. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.