Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Unconfined aquifer water table

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I just started to learn COMSOL, and I am struggling on modeling groundwater water table in unconfined aquifer.

I tired to use Darcy's Law phyiscs, and in Darcy's law, COMSOL always assumes there's water in all aquifer domain, let's say I want to model a producation well situation, the water table would obviously decrease and there would be some empty space in aquifer, but my result only gave me the aquifer of zero hydraulic head, which still means there's water in the aquifer. How can I get rid of water in the aquifer? Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

Yu

1 Reply Last Post Oct 30, 2020, 11:09 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Yu He

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago Oct 30, 2020, 11:09 a.m. EDT

Dear Yu,

COMSOL is not able by default to account for an unconfined aquifer with the Darcy's Law interface. You should be able to do this by setting up by yourself the correct equations using the Physics Builder.

This link might be helpful: https://www.comsol.com/paper/download/182449/holzbecher_presentation.pdf

Best regards, Andrea

Dear Yu, COMSOL is not able by default to account for an unconfined aquifer with the Darcy's Law interface. You should be able to do this by setting up by yourself the correct equations using the Physics Builder. This link might be helpful: https://www.comsol.com/paper/download/182449/holzbecher_presentation.pdf Best regards, Andrea

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.