Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

[3.5a thermal]Surface to surface radiative exchange

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello to everyone
I have some problems with surface to surface boundary condition.
I have two parallel surfaces that after conduction analysis display a very similar temperature distribution, that is 54.05 °C for surface A and 54.01 °C for B surface. Now i want to analyze the model better and i want to insert surface to surface radiation exchange between these two surfaces.
So I create a group for these two surfaces, i insert emissivity and I put 0 K for ambient T, at the end i launch analysis. When my analysis ends i find a temperature distribution on these surfaces that is lower than the lower starting T(54.01°C).
I think that adding only these exchange i should find a T that is between the starting T.
What is the problem? Watching the equation explanation for radiation i find that also in surface to surface there is ambient interaction. can I change the equation to erase this contribution?

Thank you in advance
Luca

1 Reply Last Post Feb 16, 2010, 2:08 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2010, 2:08 a.m. EST
Hi

I do not understand your T=0K for ambient, I would have expected something else, even in outer space you have T>0, do you have air or vacuum between the surfaces ?

On the other side radiative exchange goes as the forth power of T

Q=sigma*(T1[1/K] - T2[1/K])^4

WITH BOTH TEMPERATURES IN K

so if you have less than 1°C temperature difference, the heat exchange is really tiny and insignificant, sigma the Stephan Boltzmann constant is 56.7E-9 W/m^2/K^4 or 57nW/m^2 for one degree, not much heat

however it the ambient temperature is 0°C it's different, by some 300 no ?

good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not understand your T=0K for ambient, I would have expected something else, even in outer space you have T>0, do you have air or vacuum between the surfaces ? On the other side radiative exchange goes as the forth power of T Q=sigma*(T1[1/K] - T2[1/K])^4 WITH BOTH TEMPERATURES IN K so if you have less than 1°C temperature difference, the heat exchange is really tiny and insignificant, sigma the Stephan Boltzmann constant is 56.7E-9 W/m^2/K^4 or 57nW/m^2 for one degree, not much heat however it the ambient temperature is 0°C it's different, by some 300 no ? good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.