Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrochemistry - "Wrong number of dofs in linearization point"

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have been trying to model the water electrolysis reaction on Pt electrodes and the mass transfer of the resulting H+ and OH- ions through water. I was using electric currents, transport of dilute species, and laminar flow with partial success. I just received a trial copy of 4.1 and I have been looking at the electrochemistry module included in it. I went through the "orange battery" tutorial and tried to apply it to my own geometry with some changes.

For one, I am just using two ends of my geometry as electrode-electrolyte boundary interface (the tutorial uses a domain interface), and although I am using the secondary current distribution physics, which is what was used in the tutorial, I will want to switch to the tertiary current distribution physics.

My problem is that when I try to solve the model, I get the error message " Feature: Variable sol1/v1. Error: Wrong number of dofs in linearization point." I have checked the model and compared with the instructions on the tutorial to see if there was anything I was not specifying or overspecifying, and I tried changing some values to see if they made any difference, but I always had the same result. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could finger the problem, but what I would really like is an explanation for this error message. I have been getting it a lot, and I don't know what causes it or how it should be addressed. What information does the "Feature" line in this error message give me? I think that is a good place to start troubleshooting, but I don't know what it really points to.

Thank you very much,
Aytug

3 Replies Last Post Nov 13, 2011, 3:03 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Aytug Gencoglu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 9, 2011, 3:22 p.m. EDT
Hi,
I was wondering if you had figured out the source of this error and any solution for that. I am following heating circuit tutorial, and when solving, I am getting the same error message. COMSOL guide says, in solver manager,under value of variables not solved for and linearization point, choose using setting from initial value frame or zero option. Neither worked for me.
I'd appreciate if you share your knowledge on this problem with me, \

Thanks,
Elham
Hi, I was wondering if you had figured out the source of this error and any solution for that. I am following heating circuit tutorial, and when solving, I am getting the same error message. COMSOL guide says, in solver manager,under value of variables not solved for and linearization point, choose using setting from initial value frame or zero option. Neither worked for me. I'd appreciate if you share your knowledge on this problem with me, \ Thanks, Elham

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 9, 2011, 3:26 p.m. EST
Hello,

I am modeling fuel cell and I am having the same error. This should be related to the iterative solver but I have no idea why this occurs. If you could figure this out, could you please tell me how you did? I would really appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

SU
Hello, I am modeling fuel cell and I am having the same error. This should be related to the iterative solver but I have no idea why this occurs. If you could figure this out, could you please tell me how you did? I would really appreciate. Thanks in advance. SU

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 13, 2011, 3:03 a.m. EST
I am also modelling and repeatedly getting the same error message. Can someboldy help me to get rid of it?
I am also modelling and repeatedly getting the same error message. Can someboldy help me to get rid of it?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.