Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Post processing using cut plane

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

when cutting 2D planes from a 3D domain and plotting values only in a subdomain, COMSOL does not plot up to the subdomain boundaries (see attachment).

Is there any way out?

I'm using v4.1.0.112

Thanks,
Marcel

3 Replies Last Post Jan 27, 2011, 1:23 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 26, 2011, 3:27 p.m. EST
Hi
probably that means that the rest of the elements do not have nodes along the desired cut region, so COMSOL does not know how to interpolate the results. I'm almost sure that if you define an interior boundary, and plot against this boundary, you will get the full image, as you have nodes & elements covering the full area

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi probably that means that the rest of the elements do not have nodes along the desired cut region, so COMSOL does not know how to interpolate the results. I'm almost sure that if you define an interior boundary, and plot against this boundary, you will get the full image, as you have nodes & elements covering the full area -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 26, 2011, 4:25 p.m. EST
Hi Ivar,

that sounds logical but that also means that I should know the exact position of the planes before I run the simulation?
Or what do you mean with internal boundaries - building the geometry that there are faces on the desired plane position?

Regards,
Marcel
Hi Ivar, that sounds logical but that also means that I should know the exact position of the planes before I run the simulation? Or what do you mean with internal boundaries - building the geometry that there are faces on the desired plane position? Regards, Marcel

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 27, 2011, 1:23 a.m. EST
Hi

indeed, often it's the case (that you have a position/plane you would like to track), but I agree, not always ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed, often it's the case (that you have a position/plane you would like to track), but I agree, not always ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.