Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Submodeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello:

I am trying to carry out submodeling using "General Extrusion" operator. I was wondering if it is necessary to cut the the critical part out from the global model to perform submodeling?

I am working on a problem in which the global model has only three domains. My submodel is a cylinder (one of the domains in the global model). I created this cylinder in the submodel (not cut out from the global model) (with same dimensions and material properties as in the global model) and used "General extrusion operator" to transfer results from global model to submodel.

I was wondering if this approach is correct as I did not "cut" this cylinder from the global model?

While defining the "General Extrusion operator", I was wondering if I need to select all the three domains of the global model as the source or should I only select the cylinder as the source as I did not performed any cut in the global model?

I look forward to hearing your comments.

Thanks, Shashank

4 Replies Last Post Jun 21, 2018, 9:25 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago Jun 20, 2018, 1:51 a.m. EDT
Updated: 6 years ago Jun 20, 2018, 1:52 a.m. EDT

Hi Shashank,

See the answer in the comment field in https://www.comsol.com/blogs/submodeling-how-analyze-local-effects-large-models-2 .

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Shashank, See the answer in the comment field in . Regards, Henrik

Posted: 6 years ago Jun 20, 2018, 9:02 a.m. EDT

Hi Henrik:

Thanks a lot for your response.

Shashank

Hi Henrik: Thanks a lot for your response. Shashank

Posted: 6 years ago Jun 20, 2018, 8:44 p.m. EDT

Hi Henrik:

In reference to my earlier query, I created a submodel of the cylinder and used general extrusion operator to transfer results from the global model to the submodel (cylinder) and validated the results.

I am working on a poroelastic model and want to use the results of the submodel as an intial condition for another component with the exact same geomtery (same cylinder as in the submodel). I tried to create another general extrusion operator in the submodel and use it to transfer results from the submodel to this new "component".

However, I am getting an error "Extrusion coupling operator interpolation failed for at least one point: no source point found". Following this error, there are a number of destination coordinates.

I was wondering if this error is because I am using general extrusion operator from the submodel to transfer results to a geomtery with the same dimensions? If yes, is there a work around to use the results of a submodel as an intial condition for the same geomtery?

I look forward to hearing your comments.

Thanks, Shashank

Hi Henrik: In reference to my earlier query, I created a submodel of the cylinder and used general extrusion operator to transfer results from the global model to the submodel (cylinder) and validated the results. I am working on a poroelastic model and want to use the results of the submodel as an intial condition for another component with the exact same geomtery (same cylinder as in the submodel). I tried to create another general extrusion operator in the submodel and use it to transfer results from the submodel to this new "component". However, I am getting an error "Extrusion coupling operator interpolation failed for at least one point: no source point found". Following this error, there are a number of destination coordinates. I was wondering if this error is because I am using general extrusion operator from the submodel to transfer results to a geomtery with the same dimensions? If yes, is there a work around to use the results of a submodel as an intial condition for the same geomtery? I look forward to hearing your comments. Thanks, Shashank

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago Jun 21, 2018, 9:25 a.m. EDT

Hi Shashank,

There is no obvious reason for your problem here; what you describe sounds OK.

You can experimernt with the settings in the Advanced section of the General Extrusion. By setting Use NaN when mapping fails you can see where the mapping fails (it will be not be drawn in a plot).

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Shashank, There is no obvious reason for your problem here; what you describe sounds OK. You can experimernt with the settings in the **Advanced** section of the **General Extrusion**. By setting **Use NaN when mapping fails** you can see where the mapping fails (it will be not be drawn in a plot). Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.