Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

non-isothermal flow issue

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to model a convection cell.

As I attached, you could see my implementation. Ra = 1e5 which creates a moderate convection cell.

I tried to run many times but, I can not make a convection cell. It just shows some strange temperature distribution.

Please help me if you have any idea to deal with this issue.

Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post Jun 1, 2011, 2:13 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 1, 2011, 2:13 a.m. EDT
Hi

A few comments:
1) you should patch your version to latest update (or better get hands on 4.2, ask your rep) as these physics have been drastically improved in stability
2) to remember less physical constants, COMSOL has many now "built in" their names ends with "_const", such as g_const = 9.81...[m/s^2] etc

3) have you checked our initial conditions, I believe you have an issue with your pressure, and perhaps a conflict between the pressure fixing point and the initial value. But that might not be all, or I might have misunderstood your model

To quickly test out the initial conditions: right click the solver "Dependent variables #" node and right-click Compute to selected, then check your graphs

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi A few comments: 1) you should patch your version to latest update (or better get hands on 4.2, ask your rep) as these physics have been drastically improved in stability 2) to remember less physical constants, COMSOL has many now "built in" their names ends with "_const", such as g_const = 9.81...[m/s^2] etc 3) have you checked our initial conditions, I believe you have an issue with your pressure, and perhaps a conflict between the pressure fixing point and the initial value. But that might not be all, or I might have misunderstood your model To quickly test out the initial conditions: right click the solver "Dependent variables #" node and right-click Compute to selected, then check your graphs -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.