Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Finding the average on a cut plane

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have a geometry on 2D which I have extruded by 0.02m. Now i want to know the average of the temperature at 0.01m. I know I can use the cut plane feature to get the plane but can anybody help me on how to get the average temperature on that cross section?

Thanks,
Asghar

4 Replies Last Post Jul 11, 2011, 7:00 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 11, 2011, 6:01 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I would suggest to integrate across the plane and divide by the area.

Cheers Edgar
Hi, I would suggest to integrate across the plane and divide by the area. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 11, 2011, 6:21 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm a beginner on comsol. Sorry if this sounds amateur. After getting the cut plane, how do I integrate along it to get the average temperature?

Regards,
Asghar
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I'm a beginner on comsol. Sorry if this sounds amateur. After getting the cut plane, how do I integrate along it to get the average temperature? Regards, Asghar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 11, 2011, 6:38 a.m. EDT
In the Results section under Derived Values add a surface integration node, select the surface you want to integrate across and the expression you want to integrate.
In the Results section under Derived Values add a surface integration node, select the surface you want to integrate across and the expression you want to integrate.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 11, 2011, 7:00 a.m. EDT
Hello,

Thanks for your help. I have got the average temperature in m^2*K. Now I need the area which is quite complicated to calculate. Does comsol have any function which calculates the area?

Can I use the average function to do the same thing? But what I have seen is that to use the average function, I have to compute the solution again. Is that true?

Thanking You,
Asghar
Hello, Thanks for your help. I have got the average temperature in m^2*K. Now I need the area which is quite complicated to calculate. Does comsol have any function which calculates the area? Can I use the average function to do the same thing? But what I have seen is that to use the average function, I have to compute the solution again. Is that true? Thanking You, Asghar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.