Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrostatics in 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear readers,

I've been able to solve for the potential between any two shapes in two dimensions, however, I cannot get this to work in a 3 dimensional model. What happens is that the potential in free space (air) is always zero.

If someone can try this out and give me some help I would greatly appreciate it. I've attached the simple 3D demo model that does not seem to work.

Thanks,
Andrew

2 Replies Last Post Nov 12, 2011, 10:20 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 12, 2011, 5:48 a.m. EST
Hi

someway your file must have been corrupted, I cannot get any thing out of it ), but when I rebuild it in my (v4.2patch1 version) it works like a charm in 2D and in 3D.

Often if you mess a lot with a file, changing and testing things, it happens that you do not leave anough time to the precesses to finish, they seem to telescope sometimes, hence leaving you with a incoherent file. Or its adeep inside option that was changed, and you have forgotten about it. These things happen less anless now with the newer version, especially since 4.2.

So for such "simple models" it's worth to restart from scratch (I even stop and restart COMSOL to have a fresh java heap

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi someway your file must have been corrupted, I cannot get any thing out of it ), but when I rebuild it in my (v4.2patch1 version) it works like a charm in 2D and in 3D. Often if you mess a lot with a file, changing and testing things, it happens that you do not leave anough time to the precesses to finish, they seem to telescope sometimes, hence leaving you with a incoherent file. Or its adeep inside option that was changed, and you have forgotten about it. These things happen less anless now with the newer version, especially since 4.2. So for such "simple models" it's worth to restart from scratch (I even stop and restart COMSOL to have a fresh java heap -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 12, 2011, 10:20 a.m. EST
Ivar,

Thank you for the examples and the advice. I rebuilt the model from scratch and it worked. I must have selected some option deep in the structure of the model that was preventing it from solving correctly.

Andrew
Ivar, Thank you for the examples and the advice. I rebuilt the model from scratch and it worked. I must have selected some option deep in the structure of the model that was preventing it from solving correctly. Andrew

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.