Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

contact surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am trying to model a sphere pushing into a tapered cylinder. To do so, I have created a 2D model with a load. Since the two surfaces will be tangent to the sphere surface, I use contact pair to handle the point contact issue. The sphere will deform under this load and move forward a little bit. I want to know the distance under different load.
However, the plot of the distance indicates that something is wrong. The disntance of the contat point is zero, which is shown in the attachment
Does anyone know why this happens? I thought maybe this is a common problem that might root in a simple mistake in defining the contact.

Thank you

Pengchuan

0 Replies Last Post Nov 12, 2011, 4:38 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Pengchuan Wang

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.