Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Crossectional view of a 3D geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to obtain cross-sectional views of an imported 3D geometry (for dimensioning). Is this possible in COMSOL?

Thank you,
Rajesh

1 Reply Last Post Apr 18, 2012, 2:07 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 18, 2012, 2:07 a.m. EDT
Hi

not that I know about, missing it sometimes too, but what you can do is to use the View Delete object and/or Delete entity and remove enitites from the display, to allow easier access to the internal edges or points to measure.

Another trick I use, when I have a complex geometry and want to define the materials (when having many materials)
is to define a Selection Set per material in the Definitions section, but leave them empty to begin with, then I define a new View with a remove entities node that links to ALL my material selections.

When I seelect the a Selection list and start to polulate it, the entity dissapears from my view and allow me easier to select the entities behind. Once all material selections are polulated and the screen is generally blanc, I select the original view without and removed entities, and I go to the material nodes and add the materials, using the predefined selection names, I can then check material by material as a summary that everything is OK

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi not that I know about, missing it sometimes too, but what you can do is to use the View Delete object and/or Delete entity and remove enitites from the display, to allow easier access to the internal edges or points to measure. Another trick I use, when I have a complex geometry and want to define the materials (when having many materials) is to define a Selection Set per material in the Definitions section, but leave them empty to begin with, then I define a new View with a remove entities node that links to ALL my material selections. When I seelect the a Selection list and start to polulate it, the entity dissapears from my view and allow me easier to select the entities behind. Once all material selections are polulated and the screen is generally blanc, I select the original view without and removed entities, and I go to the material nodes and add the materials, using the predefined selection names, I can then check material by material as a summary that everything is OK -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.