Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to use solved results to couple in other physics?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I am a beginner using comsol.

I built a model, which has two physics.

One is Solid mechanics and the other is a PDE solving for another variable (the variable is M).

In the PDE module, M is a function of strains
In the solid mechanics, strain is a function of M.
The two modules are coupled.

In SM module, I solve for strains and feedback to the PDE module
(apple solid.eX, solid.eY, solid.eZ, solid.eXY,.... to PDE)

But it didn't show what I expected when I use this method.

Did I use wrong way feed the strains back to PDE?
How can I apply strains solved in the SM module to PDE?

Thank you~

Best~

1 Reply Last Post Aug 3, 2012, 12:47 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 3, 2012, 12:47 a.m. EDT
Hello,

let me rephrase my problem.

In PDE module, I want to solve a equation:

dm/dt = m x H

where H = m*(solid.eX)

and solid.eX is solved from SM module:

grad (sigma) + f = 0 and f= K*m

1. Can I use strain results (solid.eX, solid.eY, solid.eZ,.....) from the solid mechanics module as variables for PDE module?
If can not, how to use strains as variables for PDE?

2. Are those two modules fully coupled? or am I miss something?

I would be appreciated if someone has ideas for this problem

:)

Best
Hello, let me rephrase my problem. In PDE module, I want to solve a equation: dm/dt = m x H where H = m*(solid.eX) and solid.eX is solved from SM module: grad (sigma) + f = 0 and f= K*m 1. Can I use strain results (solid.eX, solid.eY, solid.eZ,.....) from the solid mechanics module as variables for PDE module? If can not, how to use strains as variables for PDE? 2. Are those two modules fully coupled? or am I miss something? I would be appreciated if someone has ideas for this problem :) Best

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.