Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help with fluid flow analysis on imported SolidWorks file.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all

I have imported a SolidWorks assembly into COMSOL 3.5a using the IGS file format.
It is a smaller section of a larger nozzle that should produce swirling flows.
I have attached a screenshot of what it looks like, both solid and wire-frame.
What I am trying to do is a fluid flow analysis of a fluid flowing through it.
(In the model navigator I selected 3D, COMSOL Multiphysics, Fluid Flow, Incompressible...).
I am now trying to set boundary conditions so that the openings of the smaller ports are inlets
and the opening of the larger section at the top is an outlet, but the edge settings option in
the Physics drop down menu is grayed out and when in the boundary settings window, I can
only select the internal walls to set the boundary conditions.

Am I going about this in the wrong way, or is there something that I don't know and am missing?

Any help would be IMMENSELY appreciated.

Thanks

Brett

4 Replies Last Post Aug 8, 2012, 11:29 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 7, 2012, 5:07 a.m. EDT
Hi Brett

Now you model of nozzle frame, not fluid inside. You have to make model of flowing fluid where you can select boundaries.

Best regards

Tero
Hi Brett Now you model of nozzle frame, not fluid inside. You have to make model of flowing fluid where you can select boundaries. Best regards Tero

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 7, 2012, 5:17 a.m. EDT
Hi Tero

I think I know what you mean, but I do not have much knowledge of COMSOL operations,
so how would I go about making a model of a flowing fluid in version 3.5a?

Thanks

Brett
Hi Tero I think I know what you mean, but I do not have much knowledge of COMSOL operations, so how would I go about making a model of a flowing fluid in version 3.5a? Thanks Brett

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 7, 2012, 5:44 a.m. EDT
Hi Brett,

You have to use Comsol own geometry tool to make "inside" solids to nozzle. This one you have learn by yourself (I have not used Comsol 3.5a for ages...). Check manuals and/or models how it is done.

Br

Tero
Hi Brett, You have to use Comsol own geometry tool to make "inside" solids to nozzle. This one you have learn by yourself (I have not used Comsol 3.5a for ages...). Check manuals and/or models how it is done. Br Tero

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 8, 2012, 11:29 a.m. EDT
What he means is that you need to model in volume that the fluid occupies, not the volume of the container.
It looks like your fluid fills the volume that is equal to the union of two perpendicular cylinders. You can make a wide cylinder along the Y axis, and a seperate thinner cylinder along the X axis, and then use a union to join them. In my experience (albeit limited), I have had some trouble meshing models I created in solidwork (imported into COMSOL as STL files). If your geometry is simple, as yours appears to be. I would suggest modeling it directly in COMSOL. It's not as quick/convenient as SolidWorks, but it should work.
What he means is that you need to model in volume that the fluid occupies, not the volume of the container. It looks like your fluid fills the volume that is equal to the union of two perpendicular cylinders. You can make a wide cylinder along the Y axis, and a seperate thinner cylinder along the X axis, and then use a union to join them. In my experience (albeit limited), I have had some trouble meshing models I created in solidwork (imported into COMSOL as STL files). If your geometry is simple, as yours appears to be. I would suggest modeling it directly in COMSOL. It's not as quick/convenient as SolidWorks, but it should work.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.