Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Structures ignore each other upn contact

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm new to comsol, just started using it few weeks ago. I'm building a model of capillaries and white blood cells. I tried to fit a sphere inside a tube and make the sphere expand due to internal pressure, and then stretches the tube upon impact. Unfortunately the sphere extend beyond the tube as if the tube was not there.

I tried using contact pairs and have the geometries as union, but I neither solved the problem.

I would really appreciate someone give me some help as soon as possible.

4 Replies Last Post Aug 28, 2012, 7:49 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 20, 2012, 9:39 p.m. EDT
In my opinion, if you use contact pair, you should use "form assembly" rather than "form union"
In my opinion, if you use contact pair, you should use "form assembly" rather than "form union"

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 20, 2012, 10:09 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I tried changing from union to assembly, but there appears to be no difference in the result.

(I made the change at "Geometry -> Form assembly/Form union")
Hi, I tried changing from union to assembly, but there appears to be no difference in the result. (I made the change at "Geometry -> Form assembly/Form union")

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 21, 2012, 8:13 a.m. EDT
Hello Jiang,
Setting up a contact problem requires that your license include the product called the "Structural Mechanics Module" or the one called "MEMS Module". To determine whether your license includes either of these products, inside the software go to the Options>Licenses menu.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Jiang, Setting up a contact problem requires that your license include the product called the "Structural Mechanics Module" or the one called "MEMS Module". To determine whether your license includes either of these products, inside the software go to the Options>Licenses menu. Best, Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 28, 2012, 7:49 p.m. EDT
Hi,

Over the past few days I managed to get the Structural mechanics module with version 4.2, but the problem still remain.

Thanks.
Hi, Over the past few days I managed to get the Structural mechanics module with version 4.2, but the problem still remain. Thanks.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.