Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing tunnel junctions for capacitance extraction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have developed a model to extract the capacitances of a couple of tunnel junction based on a real geometry. This means a very small junction (1-8nm thick) on a sufficiently large substrate (SiO2 150nm layer on Si) to encompass all fringe fields possible (several microns wide and thick!). I would eventually like to simulate this for 0.5 o 1 nm thick junctions.

I have successfully meshed the structure for down to 3nm thick junctions, but going below, I get the error "empty cavities created". I have tried many different parameters for the mesh (min and max element sizes, element growth rate, mapped and swept meshes where I could, specifying distributions on edges, etc.) I could probably increase the total number of elements, but I will run out of memory (at more than ~1 500 000 elements).

Is there a way anyone can think of to mesh this manually instead of using a free tetrahedral mesh?
Would there be a simpler way to get this information than a full 3D simulation?

Would anyone be able to help me with this?

0 Replies Last Post Aug 28, 2012, 5:20 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Gabriel Droulers

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.