Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

NVIDIA driver 305.93 causing erratic behavior

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

COMSOL was working great until I got a Tesla NVIDIA GPU. After installing the driver NVIDIA 305.93 I started getting erratic behavior when mouse clicking on the graphics. When I click to highlight a domain a completely different domain gets highlighted. Same thing on boundaries. For some reason COMSOL thinks the mouse is pointing somewhere else on the screen. The behavior is repeatable but unpredictable. For example everytime I click a boundary the same wrong boundary gets highlighted but its impossible to predict which wrong boundary will get highlighted after drawing a new object. There are also domains that I can't highlight no matter where I click on the model.
I uninstalled the driver and COMSOL went back to normal.
Using windows 7 64bit.
COMSOL support hasn't seen this problem before now.
I don't need the Tesla drivers for COMSOL but its not very convenient to uninstall every time I want to run COMSOL and reinstall when I need to use my GPU.
Anyone else have problems with NVIDIA drivers?

5 Replies Last Post Dec 12, 2012, 4:10 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Erik Shipton

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2012, 9:41 a.m. EST
Many people is complaining about that. See www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/32259
Many people is complaining about that. See http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/32259

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2012, 4:06 p.m. EST
Whoops, I didn't see this thread, and created a new one:

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/33146/

There are now three threads on the same issue.
Whoops, I didn't see this thread, and created a new one: http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/33146/ There are now three threads on the same issue.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2012, 4:07 p.m. EST
Erik, the issue exists on NVidia driver versions 306.97 and 307.45 as well.

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 12, 2012, 3:42 a.m. EST

Geoff, have you tried one of those drivers with the update 1 of COMSOL 4.3a?
[QUOTE] Erik, the issue exists on NVidia driver versions 306.97 and 307.45 as well. [/QUOTE] Geoff, have you tried one of those drivers with the update 1 of COMSOL 4.3a?

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 12, 2012, 4:10 p.m. EST

Geoff, have you tried one of those drivers with the update 1 of COMSOL 4.3a?

I can confirm that on my machine at least, with NVidia ODE drivers 307.45, the problem is fixed in Comsol 4.3a Update 1. OpenGL works fine now.
[QUOTE] Geoff, have you tried one of those drivers with the update 1 of COMSOL 4.3a? [/QUOTE] I can confirm that on my machine at least, with NVidia ODE drivers 307.45, the problem is fixed in Comsol 4.3a Update 1. OpenGL works fine now.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.