Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Face and edge selection broken in 4.3/4.3a on NVidia/OpenGL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Continued from other thread:
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/32259/
The other thread was marked as "Solved", but it's not solved (using software rendering is not a sufficient workaround), and I worry that people are not seeing the thread because it's marked as Solved.

I'm using COMSOL 4.3a (4.3.1.115) and there seems to be a strange bug. When using OpenGL rendering, you can't select some faces or edges! It's like the clicks are going to a random place, or something. Sometimes you left-click and it selects an entirely different face.

Operating system: Windows 7 Enterprise, SP1, x64. The computer is a Dell Precision T7600. Graphics hardware is NVidia Quadro 5000, with latest enterprise (ODE) driver (version 307.45). This is known to occur on the previous NVidia drivers as well (306.97).

Thanks for any help people can provide!

14 Replies Last Post Dec 12, 2012, 4:11 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2012, 4:07 p.m. EST
Same issue as discussed in these other two threads:
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/32194/
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/32259/
Same issue as discussed in these other two threads: http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/32194/ http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/32259/

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2012, 10:21 a.m. EST
I've sent a support request to Comsol about this (Case: 1284903). Will keep this thread updated as I learn more.
I've sent a support request to Comsol about this (Case: 1284903). Will keep this thread updated as I learn more.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2012, 10:31 a.m. EST

I did the same two months ago. They told me that it was a known problem and it would be fixed as soon as possible (in the NVIDIA driver or in COMSOL itself). No more news since then.

[QUOTE] I've sent a support request to Comsol about this (Case: 1284903). Will keep this thread updated as I learn more. [/QUOTE] I did the same two months ago. They told me that it was a known problem and it would be fixed as soon as possible (in the NVIDIA driver or in COMSOL itself). No more news since then.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2012, 10:43 a.m. EST
Well, hopefully if there are multiple unresolved support requests about the same issue from different users piling up, they'll make it a priority.
Well, hopefully if there are multiple unresolved support requests about the same issue from different users piling up, they'll make it a priority.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2012, 2:35 p.m. EST
Hi

it works for me in software rendering, slower but still usable even for my heavy models

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it works for me in software rendering, slower but still usable even for my heavy models -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2012, 2:38 p.m. EST
Thanks Ivar. Yes, I should have mentioned that software rendering is a workaround. But it's not really a solution since as you said it's quite a bit slower.
Thanks Ivar. Yes, I should have mentioned that software rendering is a workaround. But it's not really a solution since as you said it's quite a bit slower.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2012, 2:51 p.m. EST
Hi
I agree but Software Rendering is always better than nothing ...
And as my boss and clients wants "results", and as usual for yesterday, I have to survive with it ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I agree but Software Rendering is always better than nothing ... And as my boss and clients wants "results", and as usual for yesterday, I have to survive with it ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2012, 3:50 p.m. EST
I just change preference to Direct 9.

The 3D image is no so good as Nvidia, but at least I can select the right boundary
I just change preference to Direct 9. The 3D image is no so good as Nvidia, but at least I can select the right boundary

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2012, 3:53 p.m. EST
Zhangxian and Ivar: Yes, both DirectX 9.0 and software rendering are workarounds (I am using DirectX 9.0 currently).

But I would like Comsol or NVidia to fix the problem with OpenGL! And they may not know that it's even a problem unless people bring it to their attention.
Zhangxian and Ivar: Yes, both DirectX 9.0 and software rendering are workarounds (I am using DirectX 9.0 currently). But I would like Comsol or NVidia to fix the problem with OpenGL! And they may not know that it's even a problem unless people bring it to their attention.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2012, 5:26 p.m. EST
Hi
I'm sure they are working on it, but there might be a Java loop/wait cycle too.
The more suppliers we have in the loop, the tougher it is to get everything running ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm sure they are working on it, but there might be a Java loop/wait cycle too. The more suppliers we have in the loop, the tougher it is to get everything running ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 27, 2012, 6:43 p.m. EST
Well, the final word from support is that this issue is fixed in COMSOL 4.3a Update 1. But this update (patch) has not yet been released, and they do not know the date when it will be released.

Known workarounds include using DirectX 9.0 hardware rendering, using software rendering, or using NVidia drivers with version numbers lower than 300 (dating from around the beginning of 2012), which can be downloaded from NVidia's site.
Well, the final word from support is that this issue is fixed in COMSOL 4.3a Update 1. But this update (patch) has not yet been released, and they do not know the date when it will be released. Known workarounds include using DirectX 9.0 hardware rendering, using software rendering, or using NVidia drivers with version numbers lower than 300 (dating from around the beginning of 2012), which can be downloaded from NVidia's site.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 28, 2012, 3:15 a.m. EST
Thanks Geoff. Those are good news! Lets finally wait for that fix.
Thanks Geoff. Those are good news! Lets finally wait for that fix.

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 12, 2012, 3:44 a.m. EST
Has anybody tested the new nVidia drivers with the COMSOL 4.3a Update 1 installed? Is the issue fixed?
Has anybody tested the new nVidia drivers with the COMSOL 4.3a Update 1 installed? Is the issue fixed?

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 12, 2012, 4:11 p.m. EST
It's fixed in Update 4.1 for Comsol 4.3a. It's working now on my machine with NVidia ODE driver version 307.45.
It's fixed in Update 4.1 for Comsol 4.3a. It's working now on my machine with NVidia ODE driver version 307.45.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.