Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Ground Plane in RF Module

David Christle Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have looked over most of the tutorials and have never seen how to define a ground plane using the RF Module in COMSOL. I am currently working on simulating a CPW in COMSOL, but am not sure whether or not my model is accurately simulating the finite-width ground planes on each side of the conductor.

Right now, I use two coaxial ports, similar to the Balanced 6 Ghz Patch Antenna tutorial, where one is used as the excitation port, and the other is just a port but the "Excitation at this port" box is *not* selected. The idea is that the port with no excitation might absorb some of the RF energy, but I have no idea whether this is the correct way to go about it.

I think that using the "Lumped Port" boundary condition might allow a ground plane, since this is used in the strained PCB filter tutorial, but can the analogue of a ground plane be done using the "Port" boundary condition?

David

0 Replies Last Post Mar 11, 2010, 2:57 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello David Christle

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.