Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

acoustic wave out of laser pulse

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

the subject seems to be huge, but my question is short:

How can I implement a intensity or energy at a boundary as a source for an acoustic wave?
Because in the acoustic physics mode in the boundary settings it has to be a pressure in Pascal.
Do I have to claculate a pressure out of my energy impulse (if yes, how to do so?) or is it possible to implement the pulse energy in Joule, for example, as a source for the wave?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Christoph Mannal

3 Replies Last Post Mar 22, 2010, 1:10 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 22, 2010, 10:43 a.m. EDT
Yes you need to calculate a pressure pulse.
and this has nothing to do with comsol but everything about the physic of the coupling between the laser and the target [ HUGE subject indeed :-) ]and also of the accuracy you need for your modeling work [ simple formula existthat will provide with a solution but not very accurate... .
This is something you need to find for yourself or wih expert of the kind of effect you want/need to model

jf
Yes you need to calculate a pressure pulse. and this has nothing to do with comsol but everything about the physic of the coupling between the laser and the target [ HUGE subject indeed :-) ]and also of the accuracy you need for your modeling work [ simple formula existthat will provide with a solution but not very accurate... . This is something you need to find for yourself or wih expert of the kind of effect you want/need to model jf

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 22, 2010, 12:04 p.m. EDT
Thanks for the quick answer.I am trying to get a solution.It do not have to be accurate.Which simple formula do you mean?
Thanks again,

C.Mannal
Thanks for the quick answer.I am trying to get a solution.It do not have to be accurate.Which simple formula do you mean? Thanks again, C.Mannal

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 22, 2010, 1:10 p.m. EDT
well I dont know how to put it....
but it depends of your problem [ nature of your target, nature of the laser..
but usually you cannot do numerical simulation of a physic you dont know or dont master
Comsol like any other fem package is not a magic wand.
this is just a tool and you need to know what to do with it.
this forum is not , I thik about laser matter interaction not am I an expert on this .

but assuming your target is solid and your pulse brief compared to the time "deposition thickness/soundwave of the target" you can use the Gruneisen "gamma" coefficient that give P=Gamma rho E. rho solid density of the target e deposited total energy to get an estimate of the peak pressure generated you then need to devise a time profile using impulse conservation and other physical feature of your targets.... again a complicated subject...
and again this is a crude formula valid in narrow range of conditions but often usefull to " debunk a problm or check more sophisticated models..

jf
well I dont know how to put it.... but it depends of your problem [ nature of your target, nature of the laser.. but usually you cannot do numerical simulation of a physic you dont know or dont master Comsol like any other fem package is not a magic wand. this is just a tool and you need to know what to do with it. this forum is not , I thik about laser matter interaction not am I an expert on this . but assuming your target is solid and your pulse brief compared to the time "deposition thickness/soundwave of the target" you can use the Gruneisen "gamma" coefficient that give P=Gamma rho E. rho solid density of the target e deposited total energy to get an estimate of the peak pressure generated you then need to devise a time profile using impulse conservation and other physical feature of your targets.... again a complicated subject... and again this is a crude formula valid in narrow range of conditions but often usefull to " debunk a problm or check more sophisticated models.. jf

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.